Digital impressions involve innovative methods that allow dentists to construct a virtual 3-D computer-generated copy of the soft and hard oral tissues. This technology uses lasers and optical scanning machines to create a more true-to-life impression of your teeth.
At Laser Dental Bakersfield, we find that digital impressions eliminate several challenges that come with, and are part and parcel of traditional impressions.
Limitations Of Traditional Impressions Method
The traditional impression method, although has several advantages, also has some limitations. Despite the improvement in the quality of traditional impression materials, the method can sometimes interfere with the tooth restoration process. These include:
- The traditional dental impression method creates a lot of debris and mess. Traces of the material remain on the mucosa, teeth, and skin of the patient and need to be removed. The impression material can also spread on gloves, dental equipment, and around the office.
- Patients may also experience some discomfort, particularly those who have a strong gag reflex, and some may also have trouble breathing because of the copious amount of dental cement in the mouth.
- The impression material may also contain issues like air bubbles, fractures, or poorly demarcated preparation boundaries.
Benefits Of Digital Impressions
Digital impressions can significantly improve the accuracy and efficiency of making dental impressions and also provide a lot of benefits that can never be achieved through the use of traditional impressions. Some of the most important benefits include:
- Improved and more accurate image quality for better-fitting dental restorations.
- Elimination of distasteful impression material that can cause patients discomfort and anxiety.
- Elimination of impression-taking or material-related problems.
- Less chair time as digital impressions can be taken in just one minute.
- Digital impressions can be viewed on the computer screen and can be enlarged or colored to clearly see certain aspects.
- Digital impressions are also very helpful in creating same-day restorations like veneers and crowns.
- Since digital impressions are three-dimensional, they can be examined on a screen from all angles.
- The image can be stored indefinitely electronically, which can help save office space and enable a paper-free environment.
- The digital image can also be sent to the dental lab or to other dentists within seconds electronically.
- It eliminates the need for disposable plastic trays and impression material. Digital impressions can be deleted by a click of the button.
Digital impressions, though not perfect for every single application, can provide patients with comfort as we prepare for restorative treatments and reduces errors from improper impressions. If you are concerned for your oral health but do not relish the idea of traditional impressions, Dr. Jeannie Molato, DMD and Dr. Molato can offer digital impressions for you. To schedule an appointment with us, call us at (661) 885-9054 today.